Updated 5-26-2020, 9:15 a.m.
Dear friends and community members,
First, thank you to all those who have so generously supported us through donations, drive-thru store sales, and engaging in the the creative volunteer opportunities we have shared online and via email. We truly miss our volunteers and visitors, but are thrilled to see (from afar) so many of you walking the trails and visiting with Liberty. If you would like to participate in some of the volunteer projects, you can find more information here.
Now that the WNY region is starting to re-open, more is available. However, Audubon Community Nature Center (ACNC) fits best in Phase 4 and so will not change its offerings drastically until close to the end of June, if all goes smoothly. It is more important than ever to take precautions and be smart when engaging with others at this point. The progress of re-opening in phases depends on keeping the number of cases in the region level and not increasing.
ACNC continues to strive to maintain a safe and healthy facility for our visitors, volunteers, and staff at all times. We understand the continued concern surrounding coronavirus (COVID-19) and we are taking the following measures to ensure the safety of our volunteers, staff, and community members:
- ACNC is following the state directives issued by the governor.
- ACNC’s trails and Liberty viewing are open as normal and we encourage you to get outside to keep active, enjoy the fresh air, and stay healthy. Please remember to practice social distancing, even on trails, and in groups up to 10. Please avoid meeting in groups larger than 10. ACNC asks that you have masks on-hand in case you are unable to maintain distance from others during your visit.
- Effective Tuesday, March 17, 2020 the Nature Center closed to the public. Drive-thru store sales are available, please call (716) 569-2345. Updated information is available on the Shop menu.
ACNC guidelines for safe trail use are as follows:
- Please, no dogs.
- Visits should be solitary, family groups, or with small groups no more than 10 people.*
- Be ready to move quickly through places where people tend to congregate, such as the parking lot and trailheads.
- Keep at least six (6) feet of distance between you and others.
- Visitors are not required to wear a face covering, however we ask that you have them available to use in case you cannot maintain distance from other visitors.
- Avoid areas of high congestion when others are present, and limit your time in those spaces. This includes all trail structures and the Nature Play Area at this time.
- Use caution when climbing on Tank and Sara. The surfaces are only as clean as the last person who climbed on them.
- Stay home if you do not feel well.
- If you arrive and crowds are forming, choose a different trail or return another time/day to visit.
Please note, that if ACNC staff witnesses or receives notice of any visitors who are not complying with the rules listed above that they reserve the right to ask visitors to leave the premises.
*Masks are still required if visitors are not able to maintain social distance and are from different households.
These guidelines are based on recommendations made by the CDC and NYS.
For public programs and events, monitoring the CDC and NYS information provides the latest recommendations and duration of quarantine and social distancing. At this point, any programs and events are suspended through June 30, though there are some creative alternatives to many of the programs.
We encourage people to keep their registrations as many programs will be rescheduled. Some of the programs will be offered online, please check the program listings here to find out which ones. Any customer who wishes to cancel their registration to events or classes through June 30, 2020 due to COVID-19 concerns will get a full refund.
Day Camps are tentatively scheduled to run, so you can register for those online. Increased safety protocols are part of the re-opening plan, and you will receive a full refund if ACNC has to cancel any camps.
For private programs and rentals, all have been suspended through June 30. We encourage you to reschedule. Any customer who wishes to cancel their rental or program through June 30, 2020 due to COVID-19 concerns will get their full deposit back.
Finally, personal habits are the frontline in preventing the spread of the virus and so we are taking the following personnel actions:
- Staff onsite is limited to 60% capacity, many are working from home.
- All staff and volunteers onsite are asked to wear masks when within a confined space or within 6 feet of other employees. They are required to have masks with them at all times.
- We have instructed any staff that has a fever or other COVID-19 symptom to not come to work.
- We have requested that any staff who is immunocompromised or considered high-risk to please suspend working until the virus is contained.
These procedures will be updated as needed in accordance with CDC and NYS updates. Please check the ACNC website (auduboncnc.org) for the most up-to-date information.
Thank you for your understanding and support during these extenuating circumstances.
Audubon Community Nature Center
1600 Riverside Road
Jamestown, NY 14701
Monday - Saturday
10:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
1:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Thank you, Community Partners
Audubon Community Partners make a significant financial contribution each year because they believe that every child deserves the opportunity to have a real and healthy connection to nature.
Bob and Kathy Frucella