See below for current and annual positions.
If you have questions about applying for a position, please call (716) 569-2345 or email email@example.com
The Receptionist’s primary responsibilities include opening and closing the Nature Center building, answering phone calls, welcoming visitors, making register sales, and recording sales into the Quickbooks Point of Sale System. Additionally, this person is responsible for assisting with the annual inventory, updating and stocking displays, and other store related tasks. This person assists with festivals and events as needed. This person also assists with the annual bird seed fundraisers and bird seed deliveries.
- Previous experience with front desk reception and cash register sales
- A warm and welcoming personality
- Ability to multi-task and take on many roles
- Excellent time management skills
- Knowledge of and comfort in the natural world
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Ability to work with a flexible schedule as needed
- Excellent customer service skills
- Experience working with and supervising volunteers
- Proficient with word processing, spreadsheets, database, and desktop publishing
- Self-directed, but also able to work in a team environment
- Able to lift up to 40 lbs.
- Previous experience working in a nature center or similar setting
- Previous knowledge and or involvement with Audubon Community Nature Center
- Experience with Quickbooks Point of Sale
- General knowledge of natural history and a strong environmental ethic
- Experience working with an online constituent management system (Doubleknot)
- Basic first aid training and the ability to apply first aid when it is deemed necessary
- Flexible and open minded
Reports to: Executive Director
Supervises (paid): none
Supervises (unpaid): Reception and Store Volunteers
Salary: Part-time, hourly. Ranges from 16 – 35 hours per week. Days / hours vary from week to week, and include every other weekend.
- Receptionist (80%)
- Greets visitors and volunteers in a warm and welcoming way
- Provides visitors with information related to the indoor exhibits, trails, and other features available to them at the Nature Center
- Collects admissions to the building
- Answers the telephone and transfers calls as needed
- Answers questions related to the Nature Center from the public
- Assists visitors and callers with online registrations for events, membership sales, etc.
- Processes financial transactions received in the mail, in person, or on the telephone using Quickbooks Point of Sale and/or DoubleKnot
- Performs nightly reconciliation with Quickbooks POS and Quickbooks Premier
- Opens and closes building at the beginning and end of the day including turning on/off all lights and setting the security alarm before locking up
- Tidies up exhibits and displays as needed
- Regular cleaning and sanitation of exhibits, shared surfaces, and restrooms
- Tidies up employee kitchen and helps with laundry as needed
- Reports any building/maintenance issues to the Buildings and Grounds Manager or Exhibits Coordinator as needed
- Assists store manager with organizing and coordinating Fall and Winter Birdseed Sale fundraisers
- Assists with the annual inventory, updating and stocking displays, and other store related tasks
- Assists store manager with coordinating birdseed sales through area vendors and Blue Heron Gift Shop
- Additional Responsibilities (20%)
- Update ACNC internal Google Calendar
- Data entry for volunteer hours and information
- Collect donations from various donation boxes on site and process into Quickbooks point of sale
- Stock items for and collect money from vending machines. Process money through Quickbooks point of sale
- May be asked to perform additional tasks as needed by staff
Apply by November 9, 2020:
Please send your cover letter, resume and two references to
Audubon Community Nature Center – Receptionist
1600 Riverside Road
Jamestown, NY 14701
or firstname.lastname@example.org with “Application for Receptionist” as the subject line.
Audubon Community Nature Center
1600 Riverside Road
Jamestown, NY 14701
Hours and Admission
Monday - Saturday
10:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Temporarily by donation
Thank you, Community Partners
Audubon Community Partners make a significant financial contribution each year because they believe that every child deserves the opportunity to have a real and healthy connection to nature.